Church Lane, Ellisfield. RG25 2QR
The Domesday Book (1086 AD) mentions a church at Ellisfield but it is thought that St. Martin’s was built during the second half of the thirteenth century. The other church, All Saints, stood in the grounds of Brocas but during the plague, the village was reduced to a population of only nine and the two benefices were united under the patronage of Sir Bernard Brocas and All Saints was demolished.
St. Martin’s Church comprises a chancel, a nave, a south porch and a west tower.
The chancel is lit by Gothic Revival lancet windows in the north and south wall and three light Gothic windows dominating the east wall.
Parts of the nave walls are probably contemporary but the inside semi-circular arch is said to be fourteenth century. Behind the vestry door are several ancient scratchings, that include Crusader crosses possibly put there by knights leaving for the crusade. At the north east end of the nave above the pulpit is a lancet window which may date back to the thirteenth century.
The Gothic Revival tower was built in 1884, replacing a wooden one, and houses five bells. The bells, which are Spanish, were recently restored. In the millennium year all the kneelers by the altar and choir stalls were replaced with the tapestry depicting the year; being done by individuals in the village. At the same time new altar furniture and vestments were commissioned that pick out the style of the pulpit and other parts of the Church.
Externally, the avenue of pleached limes was planted in 1897. This style is common in France but unusual in Hampshire.
In 2010/2011 the village residents continued an ancient custom of paying for the replacement of the post and rails around the churchyard and a new lych gate was installed. In the spring, the church yard is covered in snowdrops and wild daffodils.
Clergy and contacts
The Rev’d David Chattell
The Rectory, Alresford Road, Preston Candover, Hampshire RG25 2EE
Tel: 01256 389474
Click here to email Rev’d Chattell
Tel: 07541 463750
Click here to email the Benfice Administrator
Parish Magazine – Hill and Dale
The Parish of Farleigh include:
Ellisfield; Farleigh Wallop; Dummer and Cliddesden;
Editor; Mrs Jean Frost;